Paperback: 548 pages
Comprehensive Management of Swallowing Disorders, Second Edition has been revised with new authors, expanded information on the clinical evaluations made by dysphagia specialists and with state of the art medical, behavioral and surgical treatment options. The editors have selected specialists in every swallowing related discipline to bring this edition to a true "state of the art" comprehensive text on dysphagia. The text meets the needs of students, scientists and practitioners who are involved daily with the complex issues of dysphagia.
It is divided into seven main parts:
Part I. Introduction Part II. Anatomy and Physiology of Swallowing Part III. Evaluation: A. Clinical Evaluation Part III. Evaluation: B. Functional Tests Part IV. Pathophysiology of Swallowing Disorders Part V. Nonsurgical Treatment of Swallowing Disorders Part VI. Surgical Treatment of Swallowing Disorders Part VII. Swallowing Disorders: Prevalence and Management in Special Populations
Each section has been carefully edited with up to date references and provides the reader with a host of new material related to diagnosis, testing and management of swallowing disorders. The authors represent the current core of those involved in multidisciplinary swallowing centers and each focus on his/her area of specialization. They bring their own perspective on the issues and challenges they face in managing swallowing disorders knowing that other specialists are equally involved. This single volume is intended for practicing clinicians, students and research scientists and represents up to date information in each area of specialization.
- Details extensive discussions of normal swallow in pediatric and adult populations.
- Provides concise outlines of specific clinical examinations by seven clinical specialists: Otolaryngology, Speech Pathology, Rehabilitation Medicine, Neurology, Gastroenterology, Pediatrics, and Nutrition.
- Describes a variety of treatments offered by many different specialties, including prosthodontists, speech-language pathologists, infectious disease specialists, pediatricians.
- Brings issues of diet and nutrition up to date within the international dysphagia diet guidelines.
- Features a multidisciplinary team approach blended throughout the text that reflects the needs of the patients with swallowing disorders.